Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Everything happens for a reason

My grandmother is sick and were not sure whats going to happen.  This thought brings back so mny memorys of our life together.
Being the oldest grandchild has advantages, you simply have more time and memories with your grandmother.  I remember always living close by, we were always a close family literally living in the same neighborhood over half of my life.  When I was about 4 we lived across the street from each other and I remember my mother cutting on the front porch light as well as my grandmother and both standing outside I would run across the street to spend the night with Grandma.  We would watch Nick at Night together, and me being so young I had no idea how truly old Donna Reed and Patty Duke were.  They were always new episodes to me and I guess it took me a while to figure that out.  I would always wonder why people would look at me funny when I told them those were my favorite shows. 
Different location but still in the same neighborhood I remember being about 6 or 7 and asking “Grandma pop your teeth out.”  Of course she would and it would send us screaming, you see for those who don’t know she had dentures at a rather young age.  Another neighborhood and still were neighbors I was about 10 and it was snowing outside.  I woke up in the living room alone and scared.  Instead of walking to my mother’s room I proceeded to walk to my grandmother’s house.  No shoes and no coat banging on the door at 2am needless to say she was “franzled” and then called my mom.
During the next couple of years we moved out of state not really seeing family as much as were used to, but always visiting and you guessed it grandma even moved down in the same neighborhood for about a year.  When we moved back to South Carolina I started driving and grandma took part of her tax return and helped buy my first car.  Verbatim grandma said “that’s one good looking car you got.”   Mr. Forbes helped us network for a good price on a car.  I couldn’t count how many times we went to eat with Mr. Forbes, but I do remember grandma always offering to drive because he always went to fast for her likings. 
One time I called my grandmother because I was written up at work for a mistake.  I did not call the fire department when someone’s house was actually on fire.  I was so worried I would lose my job.  I remember Grandma told me that she made a mistake at Travelers once as well.  You see she spilled a coke on a type writer.  She said don’t worry I didn’t lose my job then.  I couldn’t help but point out the difference between someone’s home and a work type writer.
I regret that in my teen years we didn’t see too much of each other, mainly my doing.  I was young and wanted to “hang with my friends.”  That old saying “If I knew then what I know now” always seem to jump in my head.  I am however grateful for these past couple of months that we’ve shared.  When I first lost my job and being pregnant I was devastated.  I thought “what did I do to deserve this.”  Then when my unemployment ran out I said again “what did I do to deserve this.”  You see I didn’t do anything, that’s just it god has a purpose for everything that happens and I truly believe that now.  Those events happened so I could take care of and spend more time with my grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment